Sunday, August 2, 2020

Things I Learned from my 6-Year-Old Friend This Summer


During the “pandemic summer of 2020” – I had the privilege of spend two to three days a week with a sweet young friend.  She needed some tutoring and a calm, safe place during the week while the rest of her family worked.

The “virus” had shortened her kindergarten’s first year of school, so I wanted to help her learn and review some things before first grade.  Things like the ABC’s and how the letters sound, some basic math, what the three primary colors are, the names of coins, and how to measure flour for a chocolate cake.

We had fun too!

We did “ballet” to classical music (well-- she danced and leaped and I swayed and twirled a lot).
We drew on the driveway with sidewalk chalk.  We walked the 97-year old neighbor’s poodle for him.
There was painting, drawing and artful gifts created for everyone in her family.
There were conversations about life, God and family.
We read stories. We read from the Beginners Bible and we both were amazed at Creation itself.
We looked at birds with binoculars and played games that allowed our imaginations to escape this virus-laden environment.
Ice cream was enjoyed as we rested on the porch glider.
There were squeals of delight and sighs of momentary sadness because of who she was missing that day.

As I look back over the summer – I see that not only was I helping her learn – she was helping me learn too  -- or at least she was reminding me of things I needed to remember.

Here are a few lessons that came my way this summer:

      1. Be Thankful for Hugs.
Every time my sweet young friend and I would have a snack or lunch…we would stop to be thankful.  I shared with her that we were telling God things we were thankful for.  Many times she’d say “I’m thankful for hugs.”   What a great lesson for all of us adults to remember.  
Hugs are wonderful. Wonderful to get and wonderful to give. Especially in this crazy time of “social distancing” – aren’t we all missing some hugs?   Hug. And be thankful for hugs.

      2. Remember and Forget.
My favorite line from my 6-year-old summer friend was when she said -
“I remember everything. But sometimes I forget.”
What a lesson for us all! 
There are times to remember – good times of life.  Remember the times to say “thank you”"I love you – “Let me help” – “ I forgive you” - “I’m sorry.” 
And there are times to forget – like old hurts that keep our hearts from healing, and times when it’s just better to “forgive and let it go.”  Even God says in Jeremiah 31:34 “For I will forgive…and their sin I will remember no more."
May we all learn when to remember the good and forget the bad, then I believe we would all enjoy life a lot more.

           3. Hold Hands
Isn’t it funny how one little thing a child can do or say can pierce your heart?
And so it was one day while we were walking the neighbor’s dog. My young friend had the charcoal grey poodle’s leash in one hand as I walked a bit behind her.
Suddenly she reached her other hand out and back toward me and said -
“Want to hold my hand?”  So I did.  And we walked hand in hand a while beside the poodle on a hot summer day and my heart was pierced.

Pierced because I couldn’t remember the last time in my life that someone actually held out their hand to me and said “do you want to hold my hand?”  And that thought makes me cry.

It’s a deeply personal invitation, you know, to hold a hand.
It’s an invitation to friendship, relationship, love.
It’s a sign of acceptance – a way of saying I like you just as you are.

So there you have it– the three “Things I Learned from my 6-Year-Old Friend This Summer.”
Be thankful for hugs. 
Remember the good and forget the bad.
Hold hands.

It’s been an amazing summer.

 Mary McGuire
August 2020








No comments:

Post a Comment